If you are using the latest version of Windows, say Windows 10, there are high chances you might have encountered the error 0x8007016a. While many people wonder what error code 0x8007016a is, one thing to understand here is that it is very simple and quick to resolve. Usually, a message stating, “the cloud file provider is not running”, is displayed when you are facing this error.
So, let us explore all the details linked to OneDrive error 0x8007016a and the potential solutions you should adopt for the same.
About OneDrive Error 0x8007016a
Microsoft offers an online storage service called OneDrive. You may control local files and folders and save them to your OneDrive cloud storage. Moving and removing files and folders are both parts of managing them.
We recently encountered the error 0x8007016A: cloud file provider is not running when launching Windows 10. The error code 0x8007016A indicates that a specific file cannot be opened at this time or is malfunctioning. The message typically appears when you attempt to delete or rename a file or folder from OnDrive.
Reason For OneDrive Error 0x8007016a
If the user faces the OneDrive error 0x8007016a, the main reasons behind this are:
- The incorrect Windows 10 update was put in.
- The user has enabled the files-on-demand feature of OneDrive.
- The OneDrive sync feature is not active.
- On OneDrive, there might be corrupted files.
- The gadget is in power-saving mode.
6 Ways to Fix OneDrive Error 0x8007016a
When you encounter the cloud file provider not running, you should understand that there is some issue with managing the files at hand. Though this might seem a dire issue, resolving the error code 0x8007016A is very simple. There are various potential methods that you can try. The best ones to resolve the error 0x8007016A are listed here for you:
1. Always Up-to-date Your Windows 10/11 Pc
The main reason for facing the error code 0x8007016A is an outdated Windows version. So, if you update your system with the latest version, there are chances that you can resolve the error and get back to working in no time. Here are the steps that you should follow when you are looking for updation:
- Open the Setting > Update & Security > Windows Update
- Under the Windows Update Click on Check for updates button
- After Update Restart the system
- Check if the issue still pertains or is resolved.
2. Deactivating Files On Demand
Sometimes, error 0x8007016A is also due to activating the files on demand feature. In such a case, it would need you to disable the same and move ahead with using the OneDrive feature. For this, it would need you to follow the steps given below:
- Right-click the OneDrive icon available on the taskbar
- Click on the Setting icon then Select Settings
- A pop-up will appear > Click on the Settings tab
- Uncheck the box under Files On-Demand
- Restart the computer
- Check OneDrive now
If you face the issue still, try using OneDrive post restarting the computer. In case the error persists, try the solutions given below.
3. Resume File Syncing
OneDrive error 0x8007016A could be brought on by your OneDrive not syncing to the cloud. Then, by doing the procedures listed below, you can continue synchronizing your data:
- On Taskbar > Right-click on OneDrive icon
- Select Setting icon > Select Resume syncing option
- Check now for the working
Sometimes you would be required to restart the system to ensure that the sync update has been done correctly with no chance of error 0x8007016A appearing again.
4. Changing the System’s Power Plan
Most of us keep our system in power-saving mode as it is more efficient and allows us to use it for longer. Now, this can be a reason for the error that you are witnessing right now. The step to follow to resolve are as follows:
- Press Windows + R type powercfg.cpl and click OK
- Switch the Power Options from Power Saver to Balanced or High performance
- Restart and check
5. Resetting Your OneDrive
When every solution fails, this is the last resort. Resetting your OneDrive can resolve the error and help you with normal functioning. So, here are the steps that you should follow for error code 0x8007016A under this solution:
- Press Windows + R key and copy the path and paste it into the dialog window click OK
- After reset, OneDrive restart your computer
- Again Press Windows + R and copy below path and paste it into dialog box click OK
- Now enter your account details and connect with OneDrive
- Then Right-click the OneDrive icon in the taskbar > Select Settings icon > Settings
- Now new windows will open
- Here click on the Settings tab
- Check the box against the point – Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows
- Click OK
- Restart the system
- Check now if you can use OneDrive without any error
6. Reinstall OneDrive
This is a straightforward solution to resolve error code 0x8007016A. Follow the steps given below:
- Press Windows + I > Select Apps
- Here Find Microsoft OneDrive > Select Uninstall
Now, once you have uninstalled it, you would be needed to follow the steps below to install it again:
- Follow the link to download OneDrive: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ww/microsoft-365/onedrive/download
- Install OneDrive on your computer
- Run it
OneDrive has some great functionalities, and there is doubt that it can help a great deal. But facing the cloud file provider is not running kind of an error code can be daunting. In such a case, you must follow the abovementioned solutions and get back to using the same with ease. So, next time to see OneDrive error 0x8007016a, try the solutions above and get ahead to work in no time.