Have you ever faced any issues with OneDrive? How to stop OneDrive from syncing? How to disable or remove OneDrive Windows 11? Well, various questions surround the use of OneDrive. While this is one of the finest storage applications, a few issues are linked.
It is possible to deactivate OneDrive if you believe it is not valuable to you. The techniques for turning off the app on your machine will be covered in this post.
See Also OneDrive Errors Solutions:
How To Disable OneDrive On Windows 11?
If you are looking forward to disabling OneDrive on Windows 11, here are the potential solutions that you can go for.
1. Stop OneDrive From Launching At Startup
The steps to follow are as follows:
- Go to the system tray icon area
- Click on the arrow icon
- Click on the OneDrive system tray icon
- The settings will be displayed
- Click on the gear icon > Select settings from the context menu
- Go to the Settings tab > Go to the General Section
- Uncheck – Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to the Windows option
- Restart the system.
2. Unlink Your OneDrive Account
It won’t be able to sync your data anymore if you disconnect it from your OneDrive account. Repeat the procedures below to delink your account:
- Open OneDrive from the system tray icon
- Click on the gear icon > Click on the Settings option
- Go to Accounts Tab > Find the Unlink this PC option
- Follow all the on-screen prompts
- Restart now
3. Disable OneDrive Using the Group Policy Editor
Users using Enterprise or Professional versions of Windows can disable OneDrive using the Group Policy Editor.
Try the following:
- Press Windows + R type gpedit.msc click OK
- Group Policy Editor will launch
- Under Computer Configuration > Select Administrative Templates > Double Click on Windows Components
- Find Select OneDrive double click on it
- Look for the option: Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage
- Double-click on it > A new window will pop up > Click on the Disabled radio button
- Click the Apply button > Click the OK button
- Exit the Group Policy Editor
- Restart and check.
How To Remove OneDrive from Windows 11
If you are looking forward to turn off OneDrive or removing the same from Windows 11, here are the solutions to try.
1. Uninstall OneDrive Using the Settings App
Follow the below-mentioned steps to complete the task:
- Open the Settings
- Press Windows + I It will also launch the Settings app
- Click on Apps > Click on the Apps & features
- Scroll down > Locate the Microsoft OneDrive app
- Click on the three dots > Select the Uninstall
- Confirm by clicking on uninstall > Follow all prompts
2. Use third-party Uninstaller
if you’re not a technical user then you can use one of these third-party uninstaller software to you uninstall any apps that you have installed on your computer and it’s free software.
3. Uninstall OneDrive Using the Command Prompt
To disable OneDrive, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + R and type CMD
- Then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to Run CMD as administrator
- The command prompt will launch
- Copy and paste this command into CMD and press enter:
taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe
- Again paste this shortcut uninstallation command into the command prompt
- Wait for the process to complete
- Exit the command prompt
- Restart the system
4. Uninstall OneDrive Using the PowerShell
Try the following steps:
- Press Windows + X and Select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- PowerShell will launch
- Copy and paste this command into the command prompt and press enter:
winget uninstall Microsoft.OneDrive
- Restart your system
How To Stop Syncing Specific OneDrive Folders
By default, OneDrive transfers all of your data from the Microsoft servers to your computer. You may instruct OneDrive to sync specific files, though. You may accomplish this by:
- Launching the OneDrive Settings dialogue
- Switching to the Accounts tab > Choosing the Choose folders option
- Uncheck the boxes next to any files and folders you don’t want OneDrive to sync to your PC in the Choose folders pop-up window
- To save your changes, don’t forget to click OK
How To Stop Office Application From Syncing To OneDrive
There are chances that you might not need to sync up your office application data to OneDrive. This is again a case of partial disabling the OneDrive. While this might sound a bit difficult, the process to accomplish the same is straightforward. Simply select the Office tab in the OneDrive Settings dialogue box and uncheck the “Use Office programs to sync files that I open the box.”
How To Stop Syncing Pictures and Videos To OneDrive
When you connect cameras and cellphones to your computer, OneDrive can store the photographs and videos they produce. Additionally, it has the ability to upload and save screenshots automatically. Now, there might be a situation where you might not be required to sync the pictures. Or even you might prefer to use Google photos for syncing up the images and videos. No worries, simple steps should be followed to resolve the issue.
Clear the checks next to the Photos and Videos and Screenshots sections in the Microsoft OneDrive dialogue box to stop any of that from happening.
Following simple and easy steps, you can easily turn off OneDrive and disable OneDrive as you need. Make sure you have already backed up your data properly before you plan to disable or turn it off. Hope these simple solutions have offered you the required information about OnedRive and the right way to disable it so that no harm is caused to your system or information.